WORD OF MOUTH MARKETING
Marketing guru Seth Godin offers the following tips in a recent blog post http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2015/09/ad-blocking.html.
- The best marketing isn’t advertising, it’s a well-designed and remarkable product.
- The best way to contact your users is by earning the privilege to contact them, over time.
- Making products for your customers is far more efficient than finding customers for your products.
- Horizontally spread ideas (person to person) are far more effective than top-down vertical advertising.
- More data isn’t the point. Data to serve explicit promises is the point.
- Commodity products can’t expect to easily build a profitable ‘brand’ with nothing but repetitive jingles and noise.
- Media properties that celebrate their ads (like Vogue) will continue to thrive, because the best advertising is the advertising we would miss if it was gone.
I believe there is some good advice here for churches. Instead of worrying about how to find people to visit your church, work on being remarkable, offering real change to people’s lives, and teach your people to share their faith!